Ipswich Hospital: the beginning
The beginnings and the site:
- The Ipswich Hospital had its beginning when a meeting was held at the Court House on April 15, 1856 where a provisional hospital committee was elected.
- By July 1857, the committee had collected £588/12/2 (today = $177,000) for the building.
- The Government [Qld was not yet a state] granted 5 acres of land bounded by Court Street, Nicholas Street, East Street, Gray Street (now Chelmsford Ave).
Cost and opening
- June 1858 – tenders were called and the winning tender = £1,060 (today = $330,000)
- Building was completed on November 30, 1859. However, the cost ballooned out to £2,179/1/0 (today = $660,000).
- The hospital was then furnished and the equipment installed.
- Official opening was March 2, 1860
- First patient admitted March 3, 1860.